“The Americas are prominent both as the origin and destination of victims of human trafficking. “ – UN Office on Drugs and Crime
10 Facts About Human Trafficking
1. Human trafficking is modern day slavery.
2. There are an estimated 27 million people in modern day slavery. 
3. Human trafficking affects every country in the world. America is a country very largely affected. 
4. The key issue in modern slavery is vulnerability. 
5. An estimated 293,000 American youth are at risk of becoming victims of commercial sexual exploitation 
6. The average age when American children are recruited, coerced, and forced into sex trafficking by a predator/trafficker is 13 years old. 
7. The FBI has rescued 105 child sex-trafficking victims, FBI Assistant Director Ronald Hosko announced July 29, 2013. The youngest of the rescued children was 9 years old.
8. One of the most prevalent ways traffickers target pre-teens and teens is through the internet and social media sites like Facebook. 
9. Students can make a huge difference once they are empowered and know about the issue.
10. You can go to www.polarisproject.org for more information about human trafficking, America, and the world.
 Kevin Bales, Disposable People: New Slavery in the Global Economy (Berkley: University of California Press, 1999, 2000 and 2004).
 Richard J. Estes and Neil Alan Weiner, Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children in the U.S.,
Canada, and Mexico (University of Pennsylvania, Executive Summary, 2001).